Guidelines to Ensure Electrical Safety in Manufactured Homes

Manufactured Home
Electrical Safety In Manufactured Homes

Electrical safety is of paramount importance in any manufactured home. This is because the amount of casualties attributed to electrical fires is very high in the US, especially among new manufactured homes. Electrical issues remain the leading cause of fires in houses and it is of paramount importance to do proper maintenance of electrical systems in the house for avoiding any such accidents. Conducting regular inspection of the electrical systems in the home would help to detect any problems before things get worse and thereby prevent fires. Below are some guidelines on ensuring electrical safety in your manufactured home.

Preventing Electrical Issues

The prime cause of major electrical fires in most homes is a result of improper installation of the electrical devices. Using switches and receptacles that do not have a proper rating can act as instigators of fires as they can overheat when connected to the main supply. The safety devices like fuse also can cause fires due to wrong practices like installing an inappropriate one or using a coin to bridge the supplies in the fuse terminals.

Such practices can prevent the fuse from burning out, which can cause exceeding currents to pass through the systems, thereby damaging the devices connected and increasing the chances of causing a fire. In addition, always ensure that electrical devices for outdoor use are designed for the very purpose.

Safe Usage of Electrical Devices

When functioning, electrical devices such as light bulbs can get very much heated. They can produce enough heat to ignite any combustible material that is in the proximity of the bulbs. In the case of table lamps, remove any piece of clothing or other combustible materials away from it. Besides that, always make sure that the shade is placed atop the lamp when placed near bedside or sofa.

In light fixtures, use only the recommended wattage bulbs. Using a high wattage bulb can cause too much load in the system that can overheat the fixture and start a fire. Other devices like extension cords should run free from the walls or curtains for heat dissipation. Remember that extension cords can get warm over usage and can start a fire if it is in contact with any combustible material.

Detecting Symptoms of Electrical Problems

Some common symptoms enable one to easily identify a problem with the electrical system and thereby suggest the necessary repairs. Flickering lights is one such thing that indicates overloaded circuits or loose connection. Another important symptom of major electrical problems is frequently blown out circuit breakers and fuses. The occurrence of sparks when inserting or removing a plug is a sign of loose connections.